Welcome to our Roof Company Orlando blog! In this article, we will explore the question «Why not put metal roof over shingles?» Discover the benefits and considerations of this roofing option to make an informed decision for your home. Stay tuned for expert insights and valuable tips!
Is it feasible to install a metal roof over shingles?
Yes, it is feasible to install a metal roof over shingles. This process is known as a metal roof retrofit and can offer several benefits. First, it eliminates the need for tearing off the existing shingles, which saves time and money. Second, it provides an additional layer of protection for your roof, as metal roofs are durable and long-lasting. However, it is important to hire a professional roofing contractor that specializes in metal roofing to ensure proper installation and to assess the condition of the existing shingles before proceeding with the retrofit. By doing so, you can enjoy the benefits of a new metal roof while maximizing the lifespan of your existing shingles.
Can a metal roof be installed over existing shingles by Roof Company Orlando?
Yes, Roof Company Orlando can install a metal roof over existing shingles. This is known as a «metal over shingle» or «re-roofing» installation method. It is a common practice and offers several benefits, including reducing labor and disposal costs by avoiding the need to remove the existing shingles. However, there are factors to consider before proceeding with this installation method, such as the condition of the existing shingles, weight restrictions, and any local building codes or regulations. It is recommended to consult with a professional roofing contractor from Roof Company Orlando to assess your specific situation and determine if a metal roof installation over existing shingles is suitable for your property.
What are the potential drawbacks or risks of installing a metal roof over shingles in Orlando?
There are several potential drawbacks or risks of installing a metal roof over shingles in Orlando:
1. Voided warranties: Most metal roofing manufacturers recommend installing their products on a clean and smooth surface. Installing metal roofing over shingles may void the warranty, as it is not the recommended installation method.
2. Potential for trapped moisture: When installing a metal roof over shingles, there is a higher likelihood of moisture becoming trapped between the two layers. This can lead to mold, rot, and other moisture-related issues over time.
3. Added weight: Metal roofs are generally heavier than shingle roofs. Installing a metal roof over shingles adds additional weight to the structure. This can potentially strain the roofing system and may require additional structural reinforcement.
4. Reduced energy efficiency: Metal roofs are known for their energy efficiency due to their reflective properties. However, installing a metal roof over shingles may reduce this efficiency, as the shingles can block the reflective capabilities of the metal.
5. Less aesthetic appeal: Installing a metal roof over shingles may result in a less visually appealing appearance compared to a clean installation on a smooth surface. The underlying shingles may cause unevenness and bumps, affecting the overall look of the roof.
It is important to consult with a professional roofing contractor who specializes in metal roof installations and understands the specific requirements and potential risks associated with installing a metal roof over shingles. They can assess the condition of the existing shingles and provide guidance on whether a complete tear-off or an overlay installation is the best option for your specific situation.
Are there any specific building codes or regulations in Orlando that prohibit installing a metal roof over shingles?
Yes, there are specific building codes and regulations in Orlando that prohibit installing a metal roof over shingles. According to the Florida Building Code, Section R907.3, only one roof covering shall be permitted on any roof section. This means that if there are existing shingles on the roof, they must be removed before installing a metal roof. The purpose of this regulation is to ensure that the new roof is properly installed and meets the necessary safety requirements. It is always important to consult with a professional roofer or the local building department to understand the specific regulations and requirements for installing a metal roof in Orlando.
In conclusion, choosing to install a metal roof over shingles can provide numerous benefits for homeowners in Orlando. Not only does it offer durability and longevity, but it also enhances energy efficiency and increases home value. While there are considerations regarding weight and ventilation, working with a professional Roof Company in Orlando can ensure a proper installation that adheres to building codes. With its ability to withstand harsh weather conditions and its aesthetic appeal, a metal roof can be a wise investment for Orlando homeowners looking for a long-lasting and resilient roofing solution.